365 DoT Weeks 2 & 3

It’s been a while since my last post. Life got busy, as it’s wont to do, but despite that, my 365 Days of Thanks project has certainly been on my mind. Even when I haven’t specifically written things down, I’ve been thinking about the project, looking for ways to include moments of thanks into my daily routine. So far, it’s been enjoyable, and aside from a few moments of frustration it hasn’t been too hard to stick the plan. I do have a new goal, though, of making the time to physically write down each moment so that I can collect my daily thoughts. They say that writing down goals or important ideas is key to being successful, and I think I could really increase the positive impact of the project by writing everything out each night instead of just thinking about things daily.

We’ll see how that goes. 🙂

In the mean time, here’s my laundry list from the past two weeks. Some days my moments of thanks were simple and direct, and on others they were more complex.

365 DoT Week #2

1/24/13 – Today I was thankful for my gym membership–more specifically that it’s something that I can afford to incorporate into my budget. Not only is it a huge help to have that sense of community, but it’s also nice to have a place where I can run inside when it’s cold or raining, where I can work to better myself, and where I can meet new people.

1/25/13 – I am so, so, so thankful that I am done with school. At least for now. Some days I do toy with the idea of pursuing my doctorate, but for now I’m okay with having my Master’s done and in the bag. I think what really drives this point home for me is that when I leave work, I can spend my days doing things that I like or enjoy. Sure, some days I get bored in a way that I never did while I had hoemwork or work to finish for the classes that I was teaching, but there are other days where I relish my ability to lay on the couch with Andrew while he plays video games or stay out late with friends and not have to worry about that 20 page paper that was due Monday. When you’re in school, there’s always something hanging over your head, always something else that you “should” be doing. Now it’s starting to feel like my life is really and truly my own. I can learn according to my own schedule and interests rather than following the arbitrary scheduling of 16 week deadlines and lists of assignments created by someone else. I can pursue new hobbies and explore a great deal more than I ever could before. It’s pretty awesome.

1/26/13 – Beer. Some days it really just hits the spot.

1/27/13 – Lazy afternoons. The sun is starting to come out more, and it’s been nice to take Jeep for walks and play with him in the backyard. We’ve been working on his commands, and he’s doing such a fantastic job with them!

1/28/13 – Strange as it may sound, I’m pretty thankful for Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison, whose work shapes so much of our daily lives. Their research and inventions help me manage the distance between my family/friends and myself, making all those miles seem just a little shorter.

1/29/13 – Soft serve, vanilla frozen yogurt. Froyo is the bomb dot com, and on a shaky day, it’s my favorite treat.

1/30/13 – My community. Granted, I still don’t think of Kansas as home. Mostly it just feels like a place where I live, but nowadays, as Andrew and I have more time to spend together and more time to spend exploring new friendships, I’m finally coming to feel a small sense of belonging. When I visit the gym or walk across campus at work, I find myself stopping to wave at people or chat with them about their pets or spouses or children. After having spent the last three years feeling more or less invisible, it’s a good feeling to have that sense of place.

365 DoT Week #3

1/31/13 – Good conversations really do make the world go round. Work has been a bit slow these past few weeks, and it’s given me a lot of time to talk with my colleagues and get to know them better. It’s fun to see where we all have come ground and where we all differ on things.

2/01/13 – TGIF. And it’s payday!

2/02/13 – I’m so incredibly fortunate to have such good friends. Today we held our Christmas Gone Awry party (since we were traveling over the holidays, we weren’t able to celebrate with our friends), and the night was a smash. Great conversations, great food, great people. Pretty fantastic.

2/02/13 – Sort of in the same vein as yesterday’s moment of thanks, but I’m incredibly thankful for my friends Ben and Charlene Giles. They are two of the warmest, kindest, most beautiful people I’ve had the great fortune of meeting, and I’m so thankful to have had them come into my life.

2/03/13 – My boss, Barbara, is a pretty astonishing person. She’s the kind of woman who leads others without them ever knowing they needed a guide. Compassionate and considerate and incredibly smart, she creates a strong sense of community and love that enriches our office.

2/04/13 – It was a rough day. This morning (around 2:00 am), I woke up with this intense pain in my left arm. It was strong enough to wake me up, but not unbearable, so I shifted positions and tried to go back to sleep. Over the next hour and a half, though, the pain intensified, and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Worried, I did a mental check of the other parts of my body and then googled the symptom. I knew that left arm pain was often associated with heart attacks and strokes, and even though I knew that neither of those were strong contenders for what was going on (I’m only 25 and in good health), I was still worried. My arm hurt so badly that just brushing my fingertips along the surface of my skin hurt. I couldn’t hold anything in my left hand or even lay my arm down on the bed. It just freaking hurt. Finally I woke Andrew up and, after talking, we decided to go to the ER. At this point it was 4:00am. Normally I’d have avoided this at all costs because a.) it’s expensive and b.) I know that most things seen at the ER are for non-emergent care and that they can usually wait until business hours. But I’d never experienced pain like this before, and in the long run, we though we ought to be safe rather than sorry. After a two and a half hour wait, we spent about four minutes with a doctor who was polite but clinical and seemed to think that I was a complete idiot (although at this point it was 6:30am, and I’d been up since two dealing with the pain, so I may have been more than a little biased). His prognosis? “You probably slept on it wrong and strained a nerve.” Twenty minutes later they were collecting my money and we were headed home. At the time, I was irritated. If there’s a problem, I like to know what it is and how to fix it, but this was something that couldn’t been named or addressed and I was more than a little miffed by the doctor’s bedside manner. I tried to go in to work, but they sent me home, knowing that what I really wanted was to go home and go back to sleep. Later, when I’d had time to take a nap and play with Jeep, I was able to feel thankful that nothing had been wrong. I’m sure that I’ll get a bill for more money than I want to pay, but at the end of the day, I was still healthy and happy and with a man who didn’t hesitate to get out of bed in the middle of the night and hold my hand and tell me that the most important thing was that I was okay. If that isn’t humbling (especially since he then went to work and put in a ten hour day), then I don’t know what is.

What are you thankful for this week?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s